Skip to main content

Waxing: Hair Removal With Lasting Benefits

Have you ever considered waxing?


https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1BOomBbEzkL_f6ETZ6v3HOShA42KTqaxZ


Before getting into the esthetics game, I never tried waxing. I generally tweezed my brows once a week, shaved my underarms every other day and honestly never even thought about my [thankfully] blonde lip hair. In winter, my shaving frequency could be even less, with maybe a week between razor passes.

 

It turns out waxing services are the bomb diggity, though! Once I saw behind the curtain, there was no turning back.

 

There are several benefits to waxing, my favorite being that there is significantly less maintenance. A wax service generally lasts 4-6 weeks. That is to say, you won't even need to shave the area for 2-3 weeks, then you have to allow another 2-3 weeks for it to grow back to the length it needs to be to wax. Meanwhile, you don’t need to think about shaving, or buying those unnecessarily-expensive-yet-dull razors on a regular basis.

 

With The Makeup Curio’s waxing services, anyone can be brow, lip, chin and underarm hair free in as little as fifteen minutes! Well...OK. Don’t worry, you won’t be entirely brow free, just free of the pesky extraneous stuff. (But if you’re looking to do something funky with your brows for a costume or character, we can help with that too!)

 

Still unsure about waxing? Does that scene from “The 40-Year-Old Virgin” have you freaked out? I promise you it’s not as bad as all that. And for those who have never had a waxing service done before, or even for those who have, here are a few tips for prepping your skin and your hair prior to waxing.

 

1. Hair Growth

Yeah, I know you want it waxed because you don't want the hair there. But your hair needs to be a certain length in order for the wax to pull it out efficiently and cleanly. All hair, no matter where on the body, must be at least 1/4” long. Generally, that's 1-2 weeks of growth. No cheating! I can't provide the best service to you if it's not long enough.

 

2. Exfoliation

One of the things I like about shaving my legs isn't necessarily getting rid of the hair, but the exfoliation of the skin on a regular basis. In order for wax to be able to be applied evenly, your skin must first be exfoliated and moisturized. Now, you know you can't shave before your waxing appointment, but you can still regularly exfoliate your skin with a hydrating scrub. I suggest you look for scrubs with coconut oil and smaller granules of sugar or rounded peach kernels. I recently used one from Lemongrass that made my skin feel super soft and smooth! One of the perks to waxing is that it does help continue the exfoliation process, leaving your skin silky smooth like you’ve never imagined.

 

3. ContraIndication

I won’t lie - waxing can, and does, irritate the skin, especially for first timers. So, if you have a sunburn or injury on the area that you plan to wax, we will need to reschedule.

 

Additionally, while I will happily wax a pregnant woman, I will not do so after 35 weeks. The reason behind this is that, simply, it can hurt, and I don't want to cause undue stress on a woman that far along. Please do not book if you are beyond 35 weeks - we'll both be happier for it.

 

Other First Timer Notes

I truly believe in helping my clients transform themselves, and The Makeup Curio is the place to explore your curiosity. So, if you've never had your brows shaped or need the hairs on your chin removed, give me a try. Yes, it will likely hurt. No, I won't apologize for it. But what I will do is provide a safe, judgement-free environment for you to get your hair removed so that you feel more confident about yourself - a transformation like no other.

  

To learn more, visit TheMakeupCurio.com or just click here to book an appointment!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We're All In This Together

Did you know small business owners don’t qualify to collect Unemployment Insurance? It’s been a couple of weeks full of confusion and anxiety as we struggle with mandates forcing us to close our doors for an unknown amount of time. Just a few days ago, at the request of the Governor, The Makeup Curio, along with all other hair salons, barber shops, nail salons, and tattoo/piercing parlors were shut down. As of 8PM Sunday night, ALL “non-essential” businesses had to close. This is incredibly scary, but absolutely necessary. As we’ve seen in other parts of the world, this novel coronavirus has the potential to overwhelm our healthcare system and kill a frighteningly large number of people if we are not careful. And you know what? As difficult as it m ay be to face the loss of business in the short term, we accept these regulations in stride, because if anyone understands community responsibility, it is small business owners. That’s why we’re here in the first place! And we are still h

2021 Oscar Nominees - Review

 It's time for my annual Oscar review of the nominees for Best Achievement in Makeup and Hairstyling.  EMMA (Amazon) Marese Langan, Laura Allen and Claudia Stolze (photo from Google Search) This elegant yet witty film is gorgeous in its hair, makeup and costuming (also nominated). The makeup is clean and simple, as appropriate for the early 1800's. Mutton chops and ringlets are why this film was nominated, as they are in abundance and the delicate makeup and soft tendrils of hair on Emma exude the innocence we are supposed to believe of her character.  It's a lovely updated version, making this the twelve adaptation of the film.  Check out Vogue's article for more insight into the looks of the film.  HILLBILLY ELEGY (NetFlix) Eryn Krueger Mekash, Matthew Mungle and Patricia Dehaney My favorite kind of makeup is character makeup. Character makeup is subtle but incredibly transformative. The actor under the makeup is familiar but perhaps you can't quite put your fing

The Designer In Me

I suppose I've always been a designer of sorts. It started in earnest when I saw a classmate doodling during 10th grade study hall. Being bored (or nosey), I peeked over. She was drawing clothing! I was intrigued. At the time, I was not confident in my size, which was compounded by the fact that finding fashionable and flattering clothing options for larger girls was difficult. This grew into a passion, and I attained my B.P.S. in Fashion Design from Marist College . My freshman year of college I saw a Help Wanted sign in the Fashion Department from an upperclassman who needed help with costumes for a show. I volunteered simply because I thought it would be fun to work in theater, and I’ve been hooked ever since. Even my fashion designs were theatrical. Every piece I've ever designed has had a couture aspect to it; wearable, but a little 'out th ere.' My Senior Capping Project was a collection based on being shipwrecked. I should have known then that makeup was only