Skip to main content

Brushin' Up

I have a problem. Hello, my name is Jenn and I am a makeup brush junkie. There, I said it. Whew, it feels good to get that off my chest!

But it’s more than just an obsession. On a regular basis, I work with an endless assortment of products, people, and textures. Makeup brushes are my tools, and I need the right selection of tools to be able to do my best work on anyone and everyone.

As a result, I have two sets of beauty brushes and one set of special effects brushes. Yes, each genre of work needs different tools. Beauty brushes tend to be softer, fluffier, and honestly, down right prettier. I have over 20 brushes just for the eyes, and another handful of foundation, contour, blush and powder brushes. SFX brushes are more dense, a little stiffer, and not as ornate. My collection consists of several of the same style (short and flat for general use), a couple specifically for glue, a splatter brush, and a variety of body painting brushes.

Meanwhile, my personal brush collection at home is small. Why? Simply put, there’s no need. My face shape never changes and I often use the same products, so there's not much need for me to grow my personal collection. Instead, I get all my brush kicks through my work.

So you're probably wondering what's the “best brush”? That’s not a simple answer, but here are some tips for both beginners and pros:

Beginners
Economy/no name brushes are the way to go! Get a feel for how a brush size/shape works for you. There's no point in investing in a $50 powder brush if you're never going to use it. ELF has great starter brushes, and we offer private label brushes as low as $5 a piece. My recommendation if you don't have ANY brushes, start with: 1 fluffy angled blush brush, 1 angled eyeliner/brow brush and 2 eyeshadow brushes in different sizes. Minimum commitment: $20-30. Then you can build from there as necessary.

Makeup Lovers
If you're starting to dabble in makeup artistry (as in doing makeup on others), opt for better quality brushes for longer durability. Same goes for those who wear a full face of makeup every single day. While economy brushes are great for the casual user, better quality brush brands such as Bdellium Tools, Royal & Langnickel, and Graftobian will allow for more professional application, easier cleaning, and a lasting investment.




If you're ready to up your brush game, we currently carry two fantastic beauty brush sets that, in my opinion, are reasonably priced for what you get, and have everything you need for a full face. We're continuing to update our online store with in stock items.

Not sure if the brushes you have are the right ones for you? Book a private lesson today!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We're All In This Together

Did you know small business owners don’t qualify to collect Unemployment Insurance? It’s been a couple of weeks full of confusion and anxiety as we struggle with mandates forcing us to close our doors for an unknown amount of time. Just a few days ago, at the request of the Governor, The Makeup Curio, along with all other hair salons, barber shops, nail salons, and tattoo/piercing parlors were shut down. As of 8PM Sunday night, ALL “non-essential” businesses had to close. This is incredibly scary, but absolutely necessary. As we’ve seen in other parts of the world, this novel coronavirus has the potential to overwhelm our healthcare system and kill a frighteningly large number of people if we are not careful. And you know what? As difficult as it m ay be to face the loss of business in the short term, we accept these regulations in stride, because if anyone understands community responsibility, it is small business owners. That’s why we’re here in the first place! And we are still h

2021 Oscar Nominees - Review

 It's time for my annual Oscar review of the nominees for Best Achievement in Makeup and Hairstyling.  EMMA (Amazon) Marese Langan, Laura Allen and Claudia Stolze (photo from Google Search) This elegant yet witty film is gorgeous in its hair, makeup and costuming (also nominated). The makeup is clean and simple, as appropriate for the early 1800's. Mutton chops and ringlets are why this film was nominated, as they are in abundance and the delicate makeup and soft tendrils of hair on Emma exude the innocence we are supposed to believe of her character.  It's a lovely updated version, making this the twelve adaptation of the film.  Check out Vogue's article for more insight into the looks of the film.  HILLBILLY ELEGY (NetFlix) Eryn Krueger Mekash, Matthew Mungle and Patricia Dehaney My favorite kind of makeup is character makeup. Character makeup is subtle but incredibly transformative. The actor under the makeup is familiar but perhaps you can't quite put your fing

The Designer In Me

I suppose I've always been a designer of sorts. It started in earnest when I saw a classmate doodling during 10th grade study hall. Being bored (or nosey), I peeked over. She was drawing clothing! I was intrigued. At the time, I was not confident in my size, which was compounded by the fact that finding fashionable and flattering clothing options for larger girls was difficult. This grew into a passion, and I attained my B.P.S. in Fashion Design from Marist College . My freshman year of college I saw a Help Wanted sign in the Fashion Department from an upperclassman who needed help with costumes for a show. I volunteered simply because I thought it would be fun to work in theater, and I’ve been hooked ever since. Even my fashion designs were theatrical. Every piece I've ever designed has had a couture aspect to it; wearable, but a little 'out th ere.' My Senior Capping Project was a collection based on being shipwrecked. I should have known then that makeup was only