Skip to main content

2021 Relaunch

 I started the beginning of 2020 blogging with the intention to educate, enlighten, and entertain our audience but as you know, 2020 became quite a dismal year.  Much of my creativity went deep underground, including the desire to blog, do any makeup, paint, etc.  It felt hopeless.

The Makeup Curio was closed and not providing services for almost 5 months last year.  I lost the biggest show season yet - 10 school productions.  Our summer line up of 4 camps went dark. I was selected to be an educator at the 2020 International Thespian Festival in Indiana, a week long event bringing thousands of students together to revel in all things theater.  I was looking forwarding to that experience but, as you can guess, it never happened.  Fortunately I was still asked to produce a virtual workshop.  And of course, our annual SFX Makeup Competition became an afterthought. Beauty clients became less and less...and less.  I am forever grateful for my devoted regulars and it was a hard decision to close the spa.  I miss seeing so many of them, giving them the hour of relaxation and skin love they very much deserved.  For that, I say THANK YOU for trusting me every month with your skin.

While I may have been dormant since October 2020, I haven't been sleeping.  The Makeup Curio was founded by the idea that curiosity transforms and self expression is the key to joyful self.  I've decided that my true passion, what's really worked creatively and financially is theater.  So let me re-introduce you to The Makeup Curio.


Creating Characters For Stage

The Makeup Curio's mission is to provide a creative, yet professional experience through education and design of hair and makeup in theater, allowing space for every person to explore their curiosity.

We're the complete package: education, design services and wig rentals. Our purpose is to enhance the professional look of a production by fulfilling a technical need that is often overlooked, whether it's teaching your crew or being hands-on backstage. Since 2016 we've designed 38 theater productions, taught 7 week-long summer camps for ages 12 and up, and created dozens of customized lectures/workshops about theatrical makeup, wigs, business, and more.  We are also an authorized retailer of Graftobian Makeup Company.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Take a look at the new and improved website.  Follow along on Facebook, Instagram and TikTok (@themakeupcurio) and if you haven't already, sign up for our newsletter.

2021, let's go!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We're All In This Together

Did you know small business owners don’t qualify to collect Unemployment Insurance? It’s been a couple of weeks full of confusion and anxiety as we struggle with mandates forcing us to close our doors for an unknown amount of time. Just a few days ago, at the request of the Governor, The Makeup Curio, along with all other hair salons, barber shops, nail salons, and tattoo/piercing parlors were shut down. As of 8PM Sunday night, ALL “non-essential” businesses had to close. This is incredibly scary, but absolutely necessary. As we’ve seen in other parts of the world, this novel coronavirus has the potential to overwhelm our healthcare system and kill a frighteningly large number of people if we are not careful. And you know what? As difficult as it m ay be to face the loss of business in the short term, we accept these regulations in stride, because if anyone understands community responsibility, it is small business owners. That’s why we’re here in the first place! And we are still h

2021 Oscar Nominees - Review

 It's time for my annual Oscar review of the nominees for Best Achievement in Makeup and Hairstyling.  EMMA (Amazon) Marese Langan, Laura Allen and Claudia Stolze (photo from Google Search) This elegant yet witty film is gorgeous in its hair, makeup and costuming (also nominated). The makeup is clean and simple, as appropriate for the early 1800's. Mutton chops and ringlets are why this film was nominated, as they are in abundance and the delicate makeup and soft tendrils of hair on Emma exude the innocence we are supposed to believe of her character.  It's a lovely updated version, making this the twelve adaptation of the film.  Check out Vogue's article for more insight into the looks of the film.  HILLBILLY ELEGY (NetFlix) Eryn Krueger Mekash, Matthew Mungle and Patricia Dehaney My favorite kind of makeup is character makeup. Character makeup is subtle but incredibly transformative. The actor under the makeup is familiar but perhaps you can't quite put your fing

The Designer In Me

I suppose I've always been a designer of sorts. It started in earnest when I saw a classmate doodling during 10th grade study hall. Being bored (or nosey), I peeked over. She was drawing clothing! I was intrigued. At the time, I was not confident in my size, which was compounded by the fact that finding fashionable and flattering clothing options for larger girls was difficult. This grew into a passion, and I attained my B.P.S. in Fashion Design from Marist College . My freshman year of college I saw a Help Wanted sign in the Fashion Department from an upperclassman who needed help with costumes for a show. I volunteered simply because I thought it would be fun to work in theater, and I’ve been hooked ever since. Even my fashion designs were theatrical. Every piece I've ever designed has had a couture aspect to it; wearable, but a little 'out th ere.' My Senior Capping Project was a collection based on being shipwrecked. I should have known then that makeup was only